Mission 3 - Why We Chose Digital Journalism

Image result for digital journalism

I was interested in Digital Journalism straight away. It was the topic that I connected with instantly. I had an interest in the topic for a long time, having considered a path in journalism before I had left secondary school. I read through the other missions but I didn't quite understand them fully and didn't think there was too much to them. I opted for Digital Journalism because I felt it would be the option I could deliver the best.
I linked up with someone else in group 3 and we discussed what we thought we should look in to. We liked the idea of comparing print, radio and digital media, and ending the presentation with an example of interactive journalism to show how journalism has progressed in presentation and accessibility but at its core it's still the same. I found a website that helped make an interactive map and this spurred on the idea of asking people how they celebrated Christmas in their birth country or their parents' country as this often influences kids. 
We then had a third member join our team. We initially wanted to keep it to us two but were told we needed three and decided that more people would make it easier to divide ideas up. We also thought that another member could add more to our ideas and that, since making video presentations was new to us all and we all had limited skills and understanding, having another person to help us with this would be something we could really benefit from instead of find as a hindrance. I had missed the lab dedicated to learning about Premiere Pro so I wasn't as confident as I could have been. 

Image result for digital journalism
We discussed different countries - we all have three different birth countries -, and explained our ideas to the new third member. We then discussed how we would go through the history and compare them. We also discussed what kind of presentation we wanted. None of us were comfortable with video and after discussing what kind of presentation it had to be with our lecturer, we decided that audio voice over would be best for our project. We divided the research into three parts so that we could all tackle it without being overwhelmed with all three. We also decided that I would do the interactive work and they would do the video. Again, it was about not letting everything be too overwhelming if we all did a bit of everything. I picked the topic of digital journalism, since I was doing the interactive map, and divided into the research of that. We decided we'd meet during our free class for a few hours and work side by side so we could learn about each programme from each other while getting work done too.

Comments